So I feel like I have to write these down so I don't forget:
The other day I went to take an Iraqi family to their TB appointment (appointment for immunizations). I had to be there by 8am in order to make their 8:30 appointment. Sweet family of 6, with adorable children. So I arrive and everyone is still asleep except the father, whom, for the sake of privacy, no names will be given. Anyhow, he opens the door and runs by and for a second I'm confused. Did he just open the door with no pants on?
Just to be safe, I wait outside the door. Surely he just ran past to go get ready. "Come in, come in, Katie! Why you wait outside?!" I walk in timidly while he lounges on his couch in his tightie whities, and nothing more. I hurriedly tell him to go upstairs and get dresses and to wake up the rest of his family and after a few seconds of him sitting there and me looking at their ceiling, he FINALLY goes upstairs.
I right it off as an accident until he DOES IT AGAIN to the next female case worker who visited him. So now I have to get Raed, my Iraqi co-worker to call him and basically shame him into always wearing pants when I come to his door....
Oh the life of a case worker.
There are SO many more stories. Hotel sheets as dress skirts for Rohingya clients, goat chopping (literally) in a Nepali apartment, airport bag chasing and running through airport securities with Afghan clients, meeting more afghans at the DFW airport, sweet syrians and their $600 speeding tickets... and more and more and more. I'll continue to write as stories come.
The other day I went to take an Iraqi family to their TB appointment (appointment for immunizations). I had to be there by 8am in order to make their 8:30 appointment. Sweet family of 6, with adorable children. So I arrive and everyone is still asleep except the father, whom, for the sake of privacy, no names will be given. Anyhow, he opens the door and runs by and for a second I'm confused. Did he just open the door with no pants on?
Just to be safe, I wait outside the door. Surely he just ran past to go get ready. "Come in, come in, Katie! Why you wait outside?!" I walk in timidly while he lounges on his couch in his tightie whities, and nothing more. I hurriedly tell him to go upstairs and get dresses and to wake up the rest of his family and after a few seconds of him sitting there and me looking at their ceiling, he FINALLY goes upstairs.
I right it off as an accident until he DOES IT AGAIN to the next female case worker who visited him. So now I have to get Raed, my Iraqi co-worker to call him and basically shame him into always wearing pants when I come to his door....
Oh the life of a case worker.
There are SO many more stories. Hotel sheets as dress skirts for Rohingya clients, goat chopping (literally) in a Nepali apartment, airport bag chasing and running through airport securities with Afghan clients, meeting more afghans at the DFW airport, sweet syrians and their $600 speeding tickets... and more and more and more. I'll continue to write as stories come.
No comments:
Post a Comment